Volunteer with us and make a real difference in your spare time! Urban Partners Los Angeles relies on volunteers who are committed to our mission to improve the lives of underprivileged community members. Volunteering with UPLA is a fun, engaging and impactful experience! Develop new skills while making new friends. Here’s what to expect with our programs.
UPDATE: For the COVID-19 Emergency Food Bank information and hours, please visit: http://www.urbanpartnersla.org/emergency-food-bank/
For volunteer opportunities, please fill out our form at bit.ly/uplafoodbank.
Food bank operating hours for volunteers: Saturdays, 6am to 12pm.
As the Coronavirus pandemic threatens our communities, none are harder hit than low-income seniors and working class people who already struggle with lack of access to food and adequate nutrition on a daily basis. Every Saturday, our volunteers distribute grocery boxes of food to thousands of community members in need.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the health and safety of our volunteers and food recipients are always our first priority. If you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive or you are displaying symptoms, please get tested before returning to public spaces. If you have any concerns that you are at higher risk or feel like a situation is unsafe, we ask that you please remain at home. Senior citizens and those with immunocompromised conditions are encouraged to stay home and contribute in other ways.
Please fill out our volunteer form one of our volunteer coordinators will reach out to confirm if there is availability. Our volunteer shifts begin at 6am and end around 12pm. Once you arrive, please check-in with our volunteer coordinator in the courtyard. You will be placed in either the food packing area, or outside to assist with distribution, check-in, maintaining the line and enforcing six feet social distancing.
– Contactless temperature checks are required at the door prior to entry into the food bank. Wait outside until you receive a temperature check before entering the work area.
– Protective masks and gloves are mandatory and must be worn at all times. We will provide masks, gloves, and hand sanitizers for volunteers. If you prefer to use your own personal protective equipment, please bring them.
– Wear closed-toe shoes. No sandals or open-toed footwear allowed.
– We recommend bringing reusable work gloves which can be found at any dollar store.
Thank you for your support in combating hunger and providing relief for families during this time of crisis.
Without Limits Math Tutoring Program
Every Saturday morning from 10am to 12pm
1. For first time volunteers, please arrive at 9:30am and check-in with Program Director Deynsi Claro, who will give you paperwork to fill out.
2. Assignment: Deynsi will assign you to a child or group of children. Introduce yourself and ask the student what they are working on at what grade level. (You might need to encourage them to respond fully.)
3. Math and Reading: The children are expected to complete three (3) math worksheets and spend 15 to 20 minutes reading and then complete a report on what they have read. Classes finish at 11:30am.
4. Progress Notes: Enter your interaction with the child on the progress notes in the folder. Be sure to sign your full name as the tutor. The children know where to place their file.
5. Parent Interaction: If the child’s parents comes to pick him/her up try to talk with them and ask if they have questions. We want the parents to know that we are interested in their feedback.
6. Final Prep: Clean up your work station. Leave it ready for the next session.
7. Check out with Deynsi.
Thank you very much for your work with Without Limits. Just a few hours a month can make a world of difference in a child’s life.
Parking and Transit Information:
Free parking is available for volunteers at the church parking lot on the southeast corner of 8th St. & Westmoreland Ave. Metered street parking is also available. Urban Partners LA is located at the First Unitarian Church at 2936 W. 8th St. Los Angeles, CA 90005.
The classroom entrance is to the left of the church entrance. Walk down the long walkway and down the stairwell.
The Red and Purple Metro Line is located at Wilshire/Vermont, 2 blocks north of the First Unitarian Church.
Join the Urban Partners family. Volunteer with us!
For Food Bank Volunteer opportunities, please fill out our form at: bit.ly/uplafoodbank.